Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

Lindvurm

#478 In fact, it's the only thing here which is remarkable. Manchester is an enormous industrial city and it's not very pretty as Yorkshire for example. What is characteristic of Manchester is that this city is full of students so the city has adapted to that lifestyle in terms of shoppings, parties and all that stuff. Bands like The Smiths, Chemical Brothers, Joy Division, Stone Roses, Oasis are from here so you can find an enormous variety in the night-life, you can go to a rock pub, indie disco, electro, DnB,... there are plenty of them!

#479 dancing, because is an action who is still happening in the present, so you should use present continuous

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#481 It's not because it's an action that is still happening in the present (the action is a fact, not something that is happening, that is why the main verb is written in a simple present tense), the verb is "to enjoy", "dancing" would be the object of the action.

In english when a verb is the object we can write it either in the gerund form or in the infinitive form. There are several rules, not all of them very precise, about when to use either infinitive or gerund.

The most reliable are the list of verbs followed by a gerund or by an infinitive, "enjoy" is always followed by a gerund.

Some of them can be followed either by a gerund or an infinitive, but the meaning changes. An example would be "to forget".

"I forgot doing something", would mean that you forgot doing an action that you actually did, but you don't keep the memory of doing it, while "I forgot to do something" would mean that you didn't do an action that you had to do.

spoiler

I've been trying to teach this to one of my students during the last two weeks, it can become one of the biggest headaches of learning English language :P

1 respuesta
rockfuck666

#450 Yesterday i saw the web you put and i think is quite interesting. I've registered myself and i'd like to find someone to practise with.

#473 I think your phrase is wrong: everybody speaks as well as he knows. I think you must put "well" instead "good" because you need an adverb, and "good" is an adjective, not an adverb.

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#483 If you want to practice English (or some other languages), I think that the best webpage around there is www.busuu.com

It has several exercises, you can chat with natives... And most of it for free (there are some premium features, but they are not essential.)

2 respuestas
rockfuck666

#484 Yes, I know that web, and i am registered, but i don't need any exercises to practise (i have enough with the task i do at the University), i only need someone to speak with and to have some coversations. I prefer the other web because is full of discussions, and gives me the chance of making a penpal.

#485 I hope so :) .

1 respuesta
AG

#485 Women find no inconveniences when searching for a partner to talk with :).

2 respuestas
resondual

#486 That's true, guys are always looking for female good looking partners, it's such a linguistic badoo xD, And if you are male and ask to other guys for exchanging language, they don't usually reply. Flirting is behind everything

2 respuestas
AG

#487 If I were them, I wouldn't do either ;D

werty

acording to wordreference

Recuerda que, acompañado de gerundio, to forget significa olvidar algo ocurrido en el pasado: I will never forget meeting the King. Nunca olvidaré el momento en que conocí al Rey. Sin embargo, con un infinitivo con to significa olvidarse de hacer algo: I mustn't forget to post this letter. No debo olvidarme de echar esta carta al correo.

then "i forgot to do that" would mean that you never did it, and "i forgot doing that" means that you don't remember have done that? (if so, it doesn't mean that you actually did that, just that you dont remember doing it even if you did or you didn`t)?

2 respuestas
N

What's the point of this thread?

allmy

#487 Indeed

Fyn4r

#489 yeah I think you are right, if you forget doing anything, it doesn't matter you actually did it. I understand it that way :\

_SePHiRoTH_

#484 Thanks for the website, I'll recommend it. I hope there's no referral link because I didn't see neither clicked it :P

wdaoajw

I have a question, when do we use neither and when do we use either? Arent they the same thing?

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#489 Well, I guess it could be that you didn't do it and don't remember doing it, of course, but... The sentence wouldn't have a lot of sense then... :\ You wouldn't say that you forgot meeting the King if you never met the King :p

spoiler
1 respuesta
Eleanor

#494 I think either is for affirmative sentences and neither is for negative ones.
For example:

• I must choose either the black or the green table (tengo que elegir la mesa negra o la verde)
  • I could see neither of the cats. (no pude ver a ninguno de los gatos)

Also you can use either with "or" but you cant with neither. Instead you use "nor"
Neither my mum nor my father were there.

werty

#495 but what if you are talking to someone and he says: you meet the king in the past year!

you'll say "I forgot meeting him"

1 respuesta
Fyn4r

#497 My bet is that he's a liar XD

W

Yes but the parner wants to play with the cams..
In Sharedtalk there is a chat room, and you can have private conversations. I prefer the chat room.

2 respuestas
AG

#499 Being a woman is indeed a risky business in situations where the use of cams is involved :/. I honestly feel sorry for you.

Birras_cs

If u need practise englisg, help with the psych traduction tomorrow!

charlesmarri

Hello, my name is charlesmarried, but I only could write charlesmarri.

IŽm studying english at the university and I speak and write in english as a cave man.

Black ogt.

1 respuesta
tirano

#499 I want to put you looking at meca

Sorry but i need to learn words to get a english lover

1 respuesta
frostttt

#502 If you speak english as a cave man you must have a lot of hair around your balls.

2 comentarios moderados
S

what if God is one of us? Just a stranger on a bus...

sacnoth

Do not complain if u get early Christmas presents for ur posts.

2 1 respuesta
Hobbes

#508 I'm the santa giving peace and love. In this days, i used to listen some songs like this:

2 respuestas
Chichelo

Hello, my name is Chichelo and I don't fear to be punished.

Happy XMas all

Tema cerrado