Editors - In This Light And On This Evening

JMBaDBoY

#150 Mañana sale en streaming, en principio sólo para los residentes en UK.

-OnE-

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU

Estoy ansioso, joder!

smoGG

pepinaco:

B

#153 La puta amparo , pero que bien que suena !

zoeshadow

La verdad es que desde que lei este post he escuchado mucho editors, pero ya tengo ganas de algo nuevo, a ver si mantienen el nivel xD

Idaho

#153 Me encanta el movimiento 02:37 para coger el micro XDD

-OnE-

Parece que se han vuelto mucho más electrónicos, no?

wais

buah que guapo!!! fapfap

-OnE-

Según leo aquí, se las trae bastante floja perder fans con este nuevo disco, que dicen que va a ser muy diferente de los anteriores...

Hago copy&paste:

Tom Smith: “In my opinion the great bands evolve over the course of their careers and take risks…this album will alienate some Editors fans, it will split opinion…good."

Editors release new album ‘In This Light And On This Evening’ next month. Following on from the guitar-y epics of ‘The Back Room’ and ‘An End Has A Start’, ‘In This Light…’ is a radical departure for the Birmingham quartet, featuring minimal guitar in favour of synth soundscapes. Over the course of the last few months, frontman Tom Smith has been shedding out some fairly precocious inspirations for the new material, one of them being the soundtrack to the Terminator films. As far-fetched as that might sound, our First Listen on ‘In This Light…’ reveals a brave band looking to the future and unafraid of change, even if, like Tom says, it might mean they lose a few fans along the way…

‘In This Light And On This Evening’
From the very first note of the opening song, it’s clear Editors have broken away from their previous sound, with the title track setting the scene for something more electro-epic. The pumping note that drives this track is an unrecognisable trait, and even when Tom first croaks “I swear to God…”, his vocals sound haunted and uncomforting, but it all gels well. After a tense three minutes of synths and piano, a climactic ending of distorted bass and drums unfolds. A bold introduction, for sure.

‘Bricks And Mortar’
The Terminator influence doesn’t seem so mind-boggling now - like New Order’s ‘Power, Corruption…’ being rewired by Kraftwerk, ‘Bricks And Mortar’ revolves around a relentless, menacing krautrock groove. The chorus resembles more classic-sounding Editors, yet before you had a chance to reminisce, a flood of noise and a series of bleeps and crashes catch you off guard. For a song that’s over six minutes long, ‘Bricks And Mortar’ doesn’t drag – it’s almost the palette cleanser before you get your teeth stuck into the rest of the album.

‘Papillon’
Already a big song in their live set, ‘Papillon’ is a storming, pop magnificence. Like a distant, ADD relative of Depeche Mode’s ‘Enjoy The Silence’, it’s based around a repetitive addictive synth riff driving the verses, and after only a short listen you’ll be singing along with Tom as he hollers “It kicks like a sleep twitch!” New Order is the reference point again on this one – 50 seconds in we’re sure there’s a definite nod to ‘Blue Monday’.

‘You Don’t Know Love’
“You don’t know love like you used to; you don’t feel love like you did before” goes Tom’s heartfelt, barren vocals on ‘You Don’t Know Love’. A steady-paced suspense guides you through the track until, at last, old-Editors-style guitars unveil themselves halfway through. Guitarist Chris interweaves his style all over the ending as Tom repeats the title, a clash between the old and the new, but it’s not much of a battle. Out with the old and in with the new.

‘The Big Exit’
Just when you think you’re beginning to understand Editors’ new direction, ‘The Big Exit’ arrives and you realise you don’t have the foggiest. 'The Big Exit''s background palette is very mechanical and unnerving, a sharp surge of what can only be described as a more threatening take of those shaving noises present in The Smith’s ‘Meat Is Murder’ squeal and splice into your ears on various occasions throughout. Exciting and worrying both at the same time.

‘The Boxer’
The main riff of ‘The Boxer’ marvels around electro eastern-tinged strings being plucked, with subtle and almost hypnotic guitar work, it’s a dark chilling song that wouldn’t be too out of place if sat next to ‘Distance’ from their debut and ‘The Weight Of The World’ from the last studio effort.

‘Like Treasure’
When describing ‘Like Treasure’, Tom Smith paints it as “A mouthful of chocolate followed by a mouthful of flies”. Definitely an album track in that it might take a few more listens than the likes of ‘Papillion’ to sink in, it cements the path that ‘In This Light…’ takes. A whirlwind of feel-good instrumental sections must be the ‘chocolate’ part of that bewildering description.

‘Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool’
The goth titled ‘Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool’ encapsulates the dystopian, Blade Runner-esque atmosphere that hangs over ‘In This Light…’. Its incessant, robotic sci-fi groove sounds like nothing they’ve done before, with Tom’s dark drawl spouting lyrics like ‘if you’re chewing with an open mouth, raw meat, your blood drool attracts the flies’ over the top.

‘Walk The Fleet Road’
And after all the dystopia, a ray of light. Of sorts, anyway – ‘Walk The Fleet Road’ is the much needed utopian ending to an album that swoops between the light and the dark. It’s a euphoric, slow-building song that resembles Joy Division’s ‘Atmosphere’ and a calming, soporific conclusion after the industrial clammer of ‘Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool’.

On first listen, ‘In This Light…’ is staggering and bewilderingly brilliant – even despite their declarations that it’s a change in direction, nothing prepares you for just how much of a direction swerve it takes. And as for Tom Smith’s Terminator analogy, well, if their previous albums are James Cameron’s apocalypse-hinting Terminator flicks, then this one is a bleak, break from the mould that plants itself right in the middle of the carnage. Terminator Salvation perhaps? Nah, this is much better.

smoGG

HYPE !

B

se comenta leak?

CybeR

para mañana

smoGG

pues hoy estaba disponible para escuchar online, solo en UK. Esperemos que algún ingles blanco y pecoso pero amable lo grabe y lo cuele.

B

si estar ya está xD

Adeiko

Fijate, hoy encontre mis apuntes de biologia ;)

hitsvil

Nunca pensé que me gustarían tanto unos apuntes.

Por cierto cuando escribes la "i", ves con cuidado porque te dejas el punto. Aún así no se hace pesado de leer.

PD: GRACIAS xd

zoeshadow

Bajando los "apuntes". xD a ver que tal!

vaai

apuntes de biologia en megaupload?

Adeiko

los tienes en mediafire, para que coño quieres megaupload si mediafire es gratis totalmente y sin limite de nada? xD

A mi tras la primera escucha sinceramente, esta muy por debajo de los otros dos trabajos.

smoGG

cual era la pw de rapidshare? ke has editado segun lo bajaba mamon xD

edit: tim13er

RuLi_pucela

que rara se me está haciendo la escucha del disco, no paran de venirme a la cabeza imágenes de Blade Runner xdddd

-OnE-

Qué decepción...

smoGG

La única que se me ha hecho pesada es The Boxer. El resto lo que preveía, temazo tras temazo. ITLAOTE y Like Treasure son enormes.

Ahora a esperar a las B-Sides, no sound but the wind, this house is full of noise, etc.

vaai

#169 Porque tengo cuenta de megaupload y porque no me va el link

Adeiko

#174 sabes leer? xD Conoces mediafire? No hace falta premium, no hace falta ni estar registrado, click here to start download y punto. No has de esperar 45 secs, no hay limite de links que bajes al a vez ni nada...

Lo dicho, tras la segunda mas de lo mismo, ni se acerca al nivel de "An End Has A Start" y ya no digo de "Bacvk Room" xDDD

soulsville

ese link, gracias tr0nc0nauta.

escuchándolo.

Idaho

Ok ayer escuché #153 y me dejó bastante descolocado: Vaya frikada se han sacado de la manga, ahora me van sin guitarras... y la canción no sonaba muy Editors al contrario que Papillon.

Esta noche la he escuchado una segunda vez y, qué puedo decir: Yo soy de los que no entendía que se les comparase a Joy Division, más allá de la voz grave, pero hoy he visto algo: la atmósfera que crean entre el bajo, la batería y los efectillos... El piano nos devuelve a Editors, pero no se describirlo, hoy he visto agoe en ese escenario que me ha gustado mucho.

vaai

Lo he escuchado solo una vez, y por ahora creo q hay una cancion que me gusta, le dare muchas más vueltas a ver si encuentro algo

uMeK

me parece discazo,como dicen por ahi arriba han sabido moverse de estilo sin perder esa atmosfera...quiero FLAC ya!

LoYuRiU
spoiler