Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

rockfuck666

#2163 O_O Your English is fucking amazing!And I like when people learn "on the road" as well; I think you haven't made any mistakes.
Ah, and the proper word for "vendimia" is "vine", which also means "viña/parra".

3 respuestas
sPNkKkKkKkKk

#2221 ...Which also means .... I think it'd be much better. Let me know if I'm wrong.

2 2 respuestas
Tr4k

#2222 You're right.

And btw #2221

After finishing there, we worked in more places for a few more months and decided to go to Amsterdam to celebrate our luck (wasn't my first time there, hehe) and look for more chances there. However the weather didn't invite us outside for too long, so I thought we would postpone that for the summer.

1 respuesta
Adamassartus

#2221 I'm flattered :) Now I got the vineyard word meaning, for some reason my dumb brain didn't made the association.
#2223 Thank you for taking the time to correct me!

1 2 respuestas
rockfuck666

#2222 Thanks, it was a stupid mistake!

#2224 Ohh, vineyard!I think this word is even more accurate for this case^^

sPNkKkKkKkKk

#2224 didn't make

1 respuesta
D

I was thinking about taking the First exam this summer, but after reading this thread... I think it would be a waste of money. I'd like to practise here a little bit before doing it, since I'm gonna do it without particular classes.

Fixed.

Tr4k

I was thinking about taking(sounds better) the First exam/certificate on this summer, but after reading this thread... I think it would be a waste of money.

Anyways, I don't think so, your sentence is pretty ok. I bet you wouldn't do that bad if you studied a little bit!

1 respuesta
D

#2228 My english teacher told me to do it, but you're right, I should open my english book more frequently. I tend to study english by my own (I like reading english articles about computering, economy...).

2 respuestas
Tr4k

taking an exam sounds a lot better than doing an exam. Just saying.
And well, I'm sure you would do fine :D

sPNkKkKkKkKk

#2229 My english teacher told me so.... I really like that structure xD

Resa

I also want to do the first certificate exam. Are there any exams on the internet?

Eyvindur

I have to translate my curriculum to English and I have no fucking idea how to do it.

1 respuesta
Adamassartus

#2226 When I wrote ''made'' I was referring to making the assotiation when I read the word some time ago, not in the present. My question is: Is ''make'' the right word in both temporal contexts?

2 respuestas
Tr4k

#2234 Idk what you mean, but didn't made no está bien. Es didn't make.

sPNkKkKkKkKk

#2234 I'm still thinking the right answer is : ...my dumb brain didn't make the association or you could even use the verb associate

Dante88

Today I found an article about Spanish swear words written from the point of view of an american. I think that is curious and funny.

http://www.wildjunket.com/2009/03/19/top-10-spanish-swear-words/

1 respuesta
Khams

"I tend to study English on my own"

For English speaking people, at least teachers and people as such, it is important for them that you put words such as languages, English in this case, with a capital letter.
As for the "study by my own", that's a direct translation from Spanish to English, which, as in many cases, is the wrong thing to do, the proper way would be for you to say "on my own", logic behind this? I wouldn't know, but that is the way it is, :D.

Para esta gente es importante que los idiomas los pongas en mayúscula, además sería "on my own", by my own es básicamente intentar traducir de inglés a español ^^ suele pasar

On topic:
FIRST certificate is terribly easy so don't be afraid of whether you people would pass or not, take a look at some test, they are all over the internet. I have been doing the same but in this case for the proficiency test... and even though some of them were fairly simple to pass, others scared me shitless, they used some words that I have never heard nor used before.. and I am quite sure that lots of "brits" haven't either..

4 respuestas
rockfuck666

#2233 I can help you :) .

#2238 First Certificate is quite easy if you are used to English, or if you have been studying/practising English previously. If you haven't studied English since you finished Bachillerato, or if English is not your forte, then taking the FCE could be a big deal.

sPNkKkKkKkKk

#2238 I guess he mistook "by myself" for "on my own". I mean he mixed up both expressions or sum.

B

hello people, this is the first time I try to say something here xD!

vc15

Hi there!

I have a doubt about "on my own".
The last week doing a FCE test, in an exercise I saw a weird sentence.
It was: "I've recently started to organise picnics of my own."
Is it really correct?
I'd always thought, as you say, that "my own" matched only with "on".

See ya!

1 respuesta
sPNkKkKkKkKk

#2238 I guess that's a misprint. It must be "on my own" what they meant to write as "of my own" indicates possesion (belong to someone or something)

1 respuesta
Khams

"of my own" has a different meaning, what it means is basically that she/he organized a picnic, of my own just reiterates the fact that it was him/her that organized it

vc15

It was in an exercise of multiple choices. The sentence was:
"I've recently started to organise picnics of my ______"
Options: a) self b) part c) behalf d) own

My mind said to me "It's a trap!!!" So I chose another answer and I failed :(

1 respuesta
rockfuck666

#2245 I've done lots of FCE practice exams and I've never seen this expression, so I think it's a printing mistake. From my point of view, the sentence might be "on my own", which would mean "recientemente, he empezado a organizar picnics por mi cuenta/por mí mismo".

#2247 Ok, thanks!

1 respuesta
Khams

#2246 "of my own" does exist, so it is not a printing mistake. I'll give you an example on which you can use the expression mentioned above.

"I will have to come with plans of my own", it is basically another way to say "I'll come up with my own plans" it is not that popular of an expression but it does have a meaning and it does fit in with the sentence he was given.

If it was indeed "on my own" it would feel more like he's going to have picnics by himself rather than anything else.

1 1 respuesta
M

Hello gentlemen. I'm starting to practise for my FCE exam in next July and I'd like to improve my speaking habilities, you know getting vocabulary, common structures and useful phrases. So I've decided to take some easy readings but in normal English.

I think with enough practice I can get decent results :D If you could recommend me something, I really would appreciate it :D Thank you for all your support guys!

1 respuesta
Adamassartus

#2248 Switch to english mode: Watch some VO shows, play vidya, read some articles... there's a lot of ways to improve your english even passively :)
Here's a bunch of sites and forums to start: http://freenuts.com/learn-english-online-for-free/
I speak from personal experience when I say that talking with native people still the best way to learn if you are able to do it.
Also try to pronounce this until you can say it faster than your own name xD
¨Three Swedish switched witches watch three Swiss Swatch watches switches. Which Swedish switched witch watch which Swiss Swatch watch switch?¨

1 respuesta
M

Ok, thanks for your quick reply. I've been reading some articles from BBC News and some science sources such as CERN, MIT, etc. I'm watching Once Upon a Time and Castle, both in VO without subtitles (and if I need them, in English) .
I am now looking for some easy readings but not boring as every other adapted reading it is :( I need normal books but not really long.

Thanks for all your support!.

PS: #2249 Does this sentence make sense? I mean the last one xDDDD

2 respuestas
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales